RV owners! Possibly considering a toilet upgrade because your current one just isn’t cutting it?
The best composting toilet for RV – a waterless option, just might be the thing you’re looking for. These toilets, are a smart choice and save almost 8,000 gallons of water yearly.
Offering more than just conservation, they fit perfectly in compact RV spaces and require less maintenance than traditional RV toilets.
Check out my top picks for composting toilets, designed to relax your RV lifestyle with a balance of value and functionality. Find out what they are!
This article contains affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase through the links in this article, we will make a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
What Is a Composting Toilet?
A composting toilet is a type of toilet that treats human waste by a biological process called composting.
This process decomposes the waste and turns it into compost-like material.
It doesn’t require water for flushing, which stands out from traditional toilets.
Composting toilets are beneficial in areas without access to water or sewage systems.
Learn more about how a composting toilet works!
What is the Best Composting Toilet for RVs?
- Nature’s Head Composting Toilet – Best Overall
- Laveo Dry Flush Toilet – Best Dry Flush
- OGO Compost Toilet – Best Electric Mixing
- Separett Villa 9215 AC/DC – Best High Capacity
- Compo Closet Cuddy – Best Portable and Family-Friendly
- BOXIO Portable Toilet – Best for Easy Disposal
Nature’s Head Composting Toilet is a self-contained, portable toilet that’s a hit among RV users, boaters, and off-grid homeowners.
Known for its environmental friendliness, it separates liquid and solid waste and is designed for less frequent emptying.
The installation process is straightforward, though the unit is somewhat bulky and requires a 12-volt power supply for its fan.
- Durability – Made from tough plastic, that can support up to 350 lbs.
- Odor Control – Equipped with a fan to draw out composting odors
- Large Capacity – Suitable for two people using it full-time, requiring emptying only every 4-6 weeks
- Battery-Free Operation – Runs on a 12V DC electricity, with an adapter available for versatility
- Compact Size – Dimensions of 20.98 x 19.02 x 20.98 inches
- Weight – 28 pounds makes it suitable for small spaces
- Voltage – Operates on 12 Volts DC
Pros & Cons
- Odor-free and environmentally friendly
- Simple to install and use
- Requires infrequent maintenance
- Durable and strong build quality
- Higher initial cost
- Needs 12-volt electricity to operate
- hands-on cleaning required
- specific installation space needed, and cannot be placed flush against a wall.
Get Started with a Nature’s Head Composting Toilet!
Best Dry Flush
The Laveo Dry Flush Toilet is celebrated for its compact and innovative design.
It’s a waterless, chemical-free, and self-contained portable toilet that doesn’t require plumbing or a septic system.
It utilizes a unique system of self-sealing bags to enclose waste, making it an ideal choice for those who need a truly portable and easy-to-install toilet solution.
- 100% Odorless – Patented design captures waste and prevents odors.
- Comfort – Regular-sized toilet with a standard seat and height.
- User-Friendly – No need for bulking material or chemicals
- Easy to Empty – The cartridge system allows for simple waste disposal.
- Battery Included: Operates on a 12V battery system
- Weight and Size – Weighs 27 pounds with dimensions of 20 x 16 x 18 inches.
Pros & Cons
- Compact and portable, fitting small living spaces and mobile lifestyles.
- Minimal maintenance is required
- Odorless operation thanks to its effective waste containment system.
- Simple cartridge disposal process, with each lasting up to 15 flushes.
- Refill cartridges are needed, representing an ongoing cost
- Limited cartridge capacity may not be suitable for larger groups of people.
Get my Laveo Dry Flush Toilet!
Best Electric Mixing
The OGO Composting Toilet stands out with its compact and contemporary design, making it suitable for RVs and camper vans.
It features a urine-diverting design and an electric agitator for efficient waste management.
Its solid build and streamlined design make it a practical and comfortable choice for small spaces.
- Efficient Waste Management – Features an electric auger/churner for effective handling of solid waste.
- Separate Waste System – Urine is diverted into a bottle while solids drop into a bucket, streamlining waste processing.
- Compact and Comfortable – Square design that’s surprisingly comfortable and fits easily in small spaces.
- Eco-Friendly Design – Operates without chemicals, reducing water usage and environmental impact.
- Simple Disposal – Solid waste turns into compost, and liquids are easily disposable, simplifying the waste management process.
Pros & Cons
- Compact and space-saving, ideal for small areas.
- User-friendly with easy upkeep.
- Environmentally conscious, no chemicals required.
- Efficient odor control which keeps bad smells at bay.
- Awkward to move due to shape and weight.
- Needs a power source to operate.
- Higher initial cost than standard toilets.
Get started with your own OGO Composting Toilet!
Best High Capacity
The Separett Villa is really a great option for RV owners upgrading their toilet systems.
It’s a waterless, urine-diverting toilet, offering a high capacity for waste, which is ideal for extended RV trips.
If you have a diy camper build and looking for an excellent toilet, I highly recommend this composting toilet to you.
- Adaptable Power Sources – Operates on both AC and DC power, ideal for RVs transitioning between on-grid and off-grid settings
- Temperature Versatility – Functions effectively in both heated and unheated locations, ensuring reliability in various RV environments
- Waterless Function – Saves water, making it a smart choice for RV use where water conservation is important
- High Capacity Design – Large waste storage reduces the frequency of emptying, convenient for extended travel
- Efficient Composting – Utilizes a unique system for odor-free and chemical-free waste decomposition.
Pros and Cons
- Can be powered by AC or DC, offering flexibility for different RV setups
- Operates effectively at any temperature, ideal for diverse climates
- High capacity, reducing the frequency of emptying, suitable for long trips
- Odorless and waterless, creating comfort and sustainability in RVs
- Compact design is often well-suited for the limited space in RVs
- Higher upfront cost compared to traditional RV toilets
- Requires access to a power source for best operation
- Regular maintenance is needed for compost management
Get started with the Separett Composting Toilet.
Best Family Friendly
The Compo Closet Cuddy is designed specifically for RV and van life, offering a practical and space-efficient solution for on-the-go sanitation.
Its compact size, coupled with a simple yet effective composting system, makes it a preferred choice for those with limited space.
It effectively manages waste with a unique design that separates liquid and solid waste, which simplifies maintenance.
- Space-Efficient Design – The Cuddy’s small dimensions make it a perfect fit for small spaces in RVs.
- Innovative Waste Management – It features a unique system for separating liquid and solid waste, ensuring efficient composting and odor control
- User-Friendly Features – Includes a smart LED indicator for liquid levels and an easy-to-use agitator handle for composting
Pros & Cons
- Designed for mobility which is specifically built for RV and van life, providing a practical solution in limited spaces
- Efficient waste handling that separates liquid and solid waste
- User-friendly indicators include smart LED light signals when it’s time to empty the liquids bottle
- Compact form that fits comfortably in small areas, making it perfect for tight RV interiors
- Environmentally friendly which processes waste naturally without chemicals
- Frequent emptying is needed because of its smaller size
- The durability of the toilet lid could be improved
- The initial investment is high, but worth every penny
Get started with the Compo Portable RV toilet.
Best for Easy Disposal
The BOXIO Portable Toilet is a compact and versatile solution, great for RV travelers who need a convenient and space-efficient toilet option.
Its design and functionality are tailored for camping, RVing, boating, and road trips, offering an easy-to-use composting toilet system.
Made from 100% recycled material only adds value to its green sustainability view.
- High Capacity – Can handle 8-10 uses before needing disposal, making it suitable for longer trips without frequent maintenance
- Compact and Portable – Designed to fit easily in small spaces
- No Bad Odor – Features a leak-proof urine canister and a separation container with a lid to minimize odors
- Environmentally Friendly – Disposal is simple and chemical-free, aligning with sustainable initiatives
Pros & Cons
- Very decent capacity for less frequent emptying
- Compact for easy storage in RVs and more
- hygienic design reducing odors,
- Easy disposal
- Manual operation is required for the disposal
- May not be as comfortable for taller or larger individuals
- Might be less suitable for heavy usage
- Its high price may deter buyers
Get started with the Boxio Compost Toilet.
How Can a Composting Toilet Benefit You?
Composting toilets in RVs offers practical benefits.
Do you want to camp longer? Great! They let you camp longer without needing dump stations, thanks to their waterless design.
These toilets also avoid the mess of frozen waste in cold weather. If you are a winter RV camper, this is really a perfect option for you.
They’re simpler to maintain than regular toilets and control odors effectively. In my opinion, keeping the inside of an RV smell-free is a top priority.
Using a compost toilet in an RV is just the start of the bigger picture of friendly waste practices.
Buyers Guide: How We Conducted Our Research
I started by comparing the prices of various composting toilets. This step was crucial to ensure we included options for different budgets, from more affordable choices to high-end models.
I continued to closely examine the key features of each toilet. Focusing on aspects like size, capacity, ease of use, and installation requirements, were my top considerations for RV owners.
It was important for me to identify any potential limitations or downsides of each model.
This included examining common user complaints and areas where a specific compost toilet might fall short.
I looked into the level of customer support provided by each manufacturer. This included warranty periods, availability of replacement parts, and quick response from customer service.
Given the nature of composting toilets, I researched the environmental impact of each model. This included how effectively they composted waste and their overall contribution to sustainable waste options in RV living.
What is the best composting toilet for camper van?
The best composting toilet for camper vans is often considered to be Nature’s Head Self-Contained Composting Toilet.
It stands out for its comfortable seat, significant capacity, and an efficient system for separating liquid and solid waste.
Its design makes it a popular choice for van lifers, especially for its ease of installation and a 5-year warranty. However, it does come with a higher price tag compared to some other options.
What is an RV composting toilet?
An RV composting toilet is a waterless system designed to decompose human waste through a natural process, turning it into compost.
These toilets are ideal for RVs and camper vans as they do not require a water hookup or traditional plumbing, making them convenient for off-grid use and reducing water consumption.
Composting toilet vs RV toilet – What is the difference?
The main differences you will find below.
- Composting Toilets – Decompose waste using a dry method, no black water tank is needed.
- Traditional RV Toilets – Collect waste in a black water tank, requiring dump station visits.
- Composting Toilets: Waterless, reducing overall RV water consumption.
- Traditional RV Toilets: Require water for flushing, increasing water usage.
Installation and Maintenance
- Composting Toilets: Easier to install, lower maintenance with compost handling.
- Traditional RV Toilets: More complex installation and frequent tank emptying are needed.
- Composting Toilets – Effective when maintained correctly, separate waste for odor reduction.
- Traditional RV Toilets – Depend on chemicals and regular tank emptying for odor control.
How to make a composting toilet for RV?
To build a composting toilet for an RV, you need a container to separate liquid and solid waste, a medium like peat moss or sawdust for composting, and possibly a ventilation system.
For a detailed guide, including the materials and steps involved, you can refer to a specific DIY video. One recommended resource for such DIY projects is Gone with the Wynns, which often covers RV modifications and upgrades.
What is the best composting toilet on the market?
The Nature’s Head composting toilet has been the best option on the market for many years, particularly for RV and camper van use.
Its strong design, simple use, and effective composting process make it a top choice among RV enthusiasts.
This guide comprehensively covered the best composting toilets for RVs by focusing on pricing, features, potential drawbacks, and support or refund policies.
By choosing a high-quality toilet, RV owners can enjoy extended travel comfort, simple maintenance, and a more sustainable lifestyle.
My research aimed to simplify the decision-making process, ensuring RV enthusiasts find a toilet that fits their specific needs and budget.